Friday, June 27, 2008

Embracing My Inner Jew




I am one quarter Jewish, which I know doesn't really make sense, and being that it was my father's father who was Jewish it's the least amount of Jewish I could possibly be. Nonetheless, I grew up in south Florida celebrating both Christmas and Hannukah as a small child. I also had a great number of Jewish friends, at whose homes an invitation to passover dinner was always available.


However, it was not until the first time I ate at Sarge's Deli on Third Avenue that I realized how much of an influence the Jewish culture (more specifically, Jewish food) has had on my life.


Sarge's is by far the place I have eaten at more than any other restaurant since I have arrived in New York (I'd say about 5-6 times by now). It just feels like home, and while I really like the city, I love the comfort of being in a place where there decor, food, service, and all around feel of the place immediately take me back home to a deli in Boynton Beach, where I sat with my sister and Pop-pop and Mim, two of the greatest grandparents a kid could ask for!


Sarge's is decorated with the traditional deli decor with maroon vinyl booths and the hideously tacky tiffany-style lamps. It's so bad but it feels so right.


On my first visit I was promptly greeted by my server, the sweetest old Jewish woman I have ever met. The first thing you are brought is a glass of water and a small complimentary plate of cole slaw and pickles(which are fantastic).

There really isn't any need for me to look at the menu because there is only one thing, or rather a combination of things that I ever order. First we start with the matzo ball soup. Just look at the size of that thing! It occupies the entire soup cup!



The texture is softer than any matzo ball I've eaten, but still manages to stay together perfectly. And there's just enough broth to accompany each bite of the matzo deliciousness.

Next is the hot pastrami on rye (with a side of potato salad).


I have yet to go to Carnegie Deli or Katz's Deli, which supposedly have the greatest pastrami on the planet, but I have had Sarge's pastrami, which is by far the best pastrami I've ever had. Once again, look at the size of it!

The first time my friend Jon came with me to Sarge's, he immediately complained about the $11.95 price tag of the pastrami sandwich. Shortly after taking his first bite though, he quickly said, "That's why it's 12 bucks." It just makes you want more, I never want to stop eating when I go there even if I'm too full. I feel as if I'm doing something wrong if I leave even a few slices of stray pastrami on my plate.

It's safe to say that I will be back at Sarge's in the near future. Actually, writing this makes me really want some pastrami, I gotta go...



No comments: