Monday, June 2, 2008

For My Mother

My wonderful mother is dying to hear about something that I am doing other than eating and drinking, as well as see the area where I am living. So the next few posts will be centered around the touristy things I walk past on a daily basis.

Since I work between Lexington Avenue and Park Avenue, I walk down Park nearly every day. Littered with outrageously priced designer fashion boutiques and jewelry stores, I feel grossly out of place on this street.

The picture below is the intersection of Park Avenue and 51st Street looking south.

This is about a five minute walk from where I am staying. The large building at the end of Park Avenue in the photo (In the shadow of the MetLife building) is where Grand Central Station is located. I've only been to Grand Central once, which was actually yesterday, but I was in a hurry to catch a train so I didn't really have any time to explore. It's big though, really big, with a ridiculous number of tracks.

If I actually took time to slow down and look at all the winding hallways and towering arches, I could have gotten pleasantly lost for a few hours. But like I said I was in a hurry and operating at my newly developed New York pace, which I can't say I'm a fan of. I already miss walking with a slow stride down the streets of West Palm because nobody down there is ever really in a hurry.

This next picture is of Saint Patrick's Cathedral on 51st and 5th. About a 10 minute walk.


It is enormous (Surprise!). I have yet to go inside the cathedral, which I've heard is visually stunning, but I walk by the mammoth house of worship a lot. It occupies an entire square block in midtown. Pretty...

The last picture in this post is related to my personal interests. I encountered this building while aimlessly wandering around my neighborhood the other day.


It's a LEED existing building renovation!(Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) As you can see from the signs on the scaffolding, the development team is pursuing a LEED-Gold Certification, which is rather difficult to obtain on an older building. I'll put up some pictures of other LEED buildings that I encounter in the near future.

No comments: