Friday, May 23, 2008

Lupa

5/20/08

So I’ve been in the city for 5 days and I have already eaten some really good food.

My first New York meal was a terribly unexciting turkey sandwich from Lenny’s. I say terribly unexciting in reference to the meal decision, not the actual sandwich which was quite satisfying. I just feel like my first New York meal should have been a crispy, piping hot slice of NY pizza, or a freshly carved gyro from a street vendor.

I did have a fantastic dinner with my cousin the first night I was here. Occupying a small space in the Village, Lupa is a very quaint Italian place that serves homemade pastas and other traditional Italian dishes. Mario Batali’s restaurant group, who opened Babbo and Esca, opened the restaurant on Thompson street between Bleecker and Houston. Unfortunately I forgot my camera so I do not have any photos of the food, but I’m sure I will be back soon and I will have my camera in hand.

We sat at the bar and got a nice glass of Pinot Noir and started with freshly sliced imported prosciutto, which was cut after we ordered. The machine used to slice the prosciutto was no ordinary kitchen tool, but a machine built specifically for producing tissue-paper thin morsels of salty deliciousness. Some of the best prosciutto I’ve had.

Before I forget, I have to briefly mention the olive oil that was served with the fresh-baked bread. It was the most flavorful olive oil that I have ever tasted, and I had to restrain myself from just picking up the small bowl and drinking it straight.

For dinner, my cousin and I both ordered a homemade pasta dish off of the special menu. It was a pappardelle with a sauce made with shredded pork shoulder and San Marzano tomatoes. The sauce was slightly sweet and the pasta was cooked perfectly. I’m really looking forward to returning to Lupa, and I promise beautiful pictures will accompany the post.

No comments: