Friday, May 23, 2008

Krunch Pizza

OK so I’m really disappointed with myself. One of the things I was looking forward to the most was an outstandingly uber-crispy slice of New York Pizza. However my first New York pizza experience was not what I had hoped. This is partially my fault, and I will explain why.

Friday night, after getting off of my first day at work and walking 12 blocks home on a terribly rainy, 45 degree summer day, I wanted some pizza and headed for the only pizza place I had passed while walking home. Krunch Pizza Bar on 2nd Avenue is a pizza place known for its square slices topped with both traditional and crrrazy ingredients.

That was my first mistake, I should have gone with a traditional NY pizza place but it was convenient, I was exhausted, and wasn’t in the mood to go hunting for the perfect slice. Nonetheless, I ordered my dinner.

Below is a picture of the four varieties I chose for my dinner.


Clockwise from bottom left, there’s the Pepe Freddo, Margherita, Ai Funghi, and Eggplant Parmiggiana Pizza.

The Pepe Freddo was topped with tomato, fresh sliced chili, garlic, and parmesan cheese.

The Margherita boasted San Marzano tomatoes, mozzarella cheese, basil, and olive oil.

The Ai Funghi had wild mushrooms, tomato, garlic, mozzarella, and basil.

Lastly the Eggplant Parmiggiana combined roasted eggplant, tomato, mozz, and basil.

The temperature at which I ate my pizza was the primary reason for the mediocre pizza experience. After walking four blocks home in 45-degree weather and taking 5 minutes to get settled in, the pizza was nice and chilly.

None of the slices tasted bad, they just weren’t that signature NY-style I was hoping for.

I’ll let you all know when I have my first great slice.

No comments: