Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Blue Ribbon Sushi

Being the 2nd restaurant on my mental list, and the fourth place listed in the Michelin Guide (I forgot about Lupa), I was admittedly excited. I had been looking over the menu while sitting at the bar at Peep, so I was ready to go.


I ordered four pieces of sushi (from L to R):

Hamachi
Smoked Hamachi
Makai
Jellyfish

They were all fantastic in their own individual ways. I am very familiar with hamachi, and this piece of Japanese Yellowtail was exceptionally fresh. Makai, which is Red Snapper, is very similar in taste to hamachi and was equally as fresh.

The other two pieces were new to me. Smoked hamachi immediately caught my attention and easily met my expectations. The smokiness accented the flavor of the fish nicely without being overpowering.

When I saw jellyfish on the menu I almost cried from excitement. Now I’m still not sure if the jellyfish was raw, cooked, or cured (It was in a light brown soy-based sauce), but it was excellent nonetheless. The texture is exactly what you would think it would be. Slightly chewy, with a nice briny flavor, it was a pleasant change from my arguably boring ordinary sushi routine.

I also ordered the seven-color dragon roll, which was topped with seven different types of seafood. I’m not sure what every piece was, but I do know that there was escolar (often called white tuna), hamachi, tuna, cooked shrimp, and salmon. All the fish was very fresh and the sushi was skillfully prepared.

Jon ordered the shrimp dumplings, which more than made up for the terrible dumplings at Peep, and the Sushi Special #3, an assemblage of three rather ordinary rolls. Below is a picture of the shrimp dumplings.



They were unreal. Unbelievably light and airy, biting through them took no effort at all, showing the individual handmade quality of each dumpling. I could have easily made a whole meal out of those delectable little steamed packages.

Although some menu items can get pretty pricey at Blue Ribbon Sushi, it is very easy to piece together a good meal for a reasonable price. I would definitely recommend this restaurant to someone looking for very fresh, well-made sushi and sashimi, and I’m looking forward to returning soon.

No comments: